Throwing Bio for Gerald “Jerry” Bowersox – Age 69
- Got in trouble, when as a 5-year-old, and visiting relatives with no kids to play with, decided to throw gravel at passing cars out in the front yard of the aunt and uncle’s farm. Wasn’t much traffic, but all cars stopped and yelled new words for my budding vocabulary.
- In Little League baseball, I was voted best outfielder on the Michigan and Fuller Park Rockets 12-year-olds, throwing out more baserunners from the outfield.
- As a high school junior, changed from baseball to the track team to throw the shot-put and run the dashes. The track coach was the football coach. Enough said?
- As a senior on the Godwin Heights Track Team, I threw a school record in the Wyoming relays, but because it was added up with 2 other team throwers for a Total, it was never discovered as a school record throw (48-6).
- Four years after high school (slow learner), attended Ferris State College and threw shot, discus (self-taught), javelin and earned my B.S. in Business/Production Management.
- As an engineer at Kelvinator, Inc, I won the golf club throwing door prize (An actual Nash Rambler passenger door) for distance and accuracy at the annual Kelvinator Golf Outing. Voted the Soberest Thrower.
- After years of playing some recreational sports, I started coaching the girl’s throwers in 1986 at the high school level of which my daughter was a team member and a natural discus talent. Coaching boys and girls (most years until 2014), I take pride in helping develop many conference champions and a few state finalists in the throws.
- Also, starting at that same time in 1986, I entered into the world of Masters Track & Field and earned 9 Masters All-American Awards for the different throwing events: hammer, discus, javelin, dhot-put and weight throw. I finished 11th nationally in discus and 7th in hammer in Eugene, OR and 18th in the World Amateur Veterans Athletes (WAVA ) Championships in Buffalo, NY in all events totaled.
- My favorite accomplishments are: throwing the discus at the age of 52 – 142’ and 7” at a college invitational.
- Winning a trophy for First Place in discus in the Flint International Track and Field Meet (beating the competition by a foot and realizing later that all the competitors were throwing the 1.6K discus (high school weight) while I was mistakenly throwing the heavier college discus (2.0K) .
- Coaching and urging and pushing a high school freshman girl into the State of Michigan high school track shot-put finals and managing an 8th place finish and a place on the podium.
- Have helped many athletes and non-athletes discover a fondness for throwing in Highland Games.
- Finished 3rd three times in the Masters World Highland Games Championships in my age-group.
- Have now organized, set-up, and run fifteen consecutive Highland Games in Michigan, including the Upper Peninsula.